Archive for ‘Grody to the Max’

November 22, 2015

Eeeewwww!

by Janie Jones

There is a message board by the door at the house where I am renting.  This morning the following was scrawled upon the board:

Please clean up pubes after grooming.

Thank the merciful heavens I have my own bathroom.

Advertisements
July 28, 2015

Tuesday Titters: Why you should *ALWAYS* put the toilet lid down, and guys I mean you too

by Janie Jones

flushing the toilet

March 5, 2015

Thursday Quote Du Jour: There’s something in the water

by Janie Jones

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.
-Benjamin Franklin

 

Hmmm,  yes.  But in wine and beer there is fungus poop.

January 22, 2015

Factoid

by Janie Jones

Did you know that you have way more microbial cells living on you and in you than you have of your own cells?  In fact, if microbes were visible to the naked eye, you would have so many living on your body that they would totally obscure you and you would appear as a massive slime ball.

And, in case you were wondering, only about 0.4% of all microbes are pathogenic, the remaining 99.6% are necessary and beneficial to life as we know it.

November 21, 2014

Factual, funny and freakish, all on one Friday

by Janie Jones

Now, if you are the kind of person who is a bit put out having to follow a link in a blog post to understand what the author is posting about, I will apologize now.

But, if you know nothing about Naked Mole Rats, and/or you are looking for something that will make you laugh and shudder all at once, then you will not regret following this link and spending 3 minutes watching this highly informative video:

True facts about Naked Mole Rats

My lab partner and I had a bunch of time to kill Wednesday night while we waited for our Drosophila cells to incubate and he and I swapped funny websites.  He got The Oatmeal, and I got True facts about Naked Mole Rats.  A thoroughly equitable exchange, in my opinion.

And, here’s a spoiler alert:   No, something that ugly can’t be food.

Happy Friday

October 10, 2014

Please pass the Febreeze

by Janie Jones

My Advanced Writing professor is one of the emaciated-looking smoker types.  She’s very nice, and I have no complaints about her teaching, but it is hard to get your homework back reeking like an ashtray.  When she handed me my stack of papers, the smell half led me to expect a pile of ashes to fall from between the leaves when I picked it up to put in my bag.  Now every time I open my folder for this class, I am assaulted by a whiff of stale cigarette smoke.  I suppose the leftover scent won’t harm me, but I do find that odor rather offensive.  The campus is non smoking, so obviously she brought this stuff home to grade.  I half wish that there was a ban on subjecting students to second hand-second hand smoke smell from grading papers at home.

Yuck.

But, one of my papers I got back was my grammar test.  I got a 93%.  So, just so you all know, when I screw up it’s not because I don’t know better.

September 12, 2014

This still doesn’t make me a cat person….

by Janie Jones

On account of the critter problem down on the farm, last June I bought Leif and the Spud a barn cat.  Okay now everyone coo and awww at the adorable little kitten:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

He’s got no tail, which I’m told makes him a Manx. Naturally he needed a Scottish name and so he was promptly dubbed Duncan.  Apparently he’s earning his keep.  He’s caught several small rodents in the past few weeks.  It’s not quite so cute though when he leaves partially digested and regurgitated rodent carcasses all over the front porch.

Now if only I could get him to catch the ginormous wolf spiders we get in the house….